Welcome to Apache Rave!
Apache Rave a new web and social mashup engine that aggregates and serves web widgets. Rave is targeted as engine for internet and intranet portals and integrates Apache Shindig & Apache Wookie to provide OpenSocial & W3C widget support, respectively.
Apache Rave team is proud to announce the release of Apache Rave .
Status of Apache Rave
Apache Rave brings together and combines several pre-existing projects and teams working towards more or less the same or overlapping goals. Each of these projects is already in production, but Rave is a brand new start. We are bringing together the best from each of the original projects in a brand new code base.
The goal for Apache Rave is to become a lightweight and open-standards based extendible platform for using, integrating and hosting OpenSocial and W3C Widget related features, technologies and services. It will also provide strong context-aware personalization, collaboration and content integration capabilities and a high quality out-of-the-box installation as well as be easy to integrate in other platforms and solutions.
The intended features include:
- Advanced OpenSocial compliance and optional features support
- Native W3C Widgets support through Apache Wookie
- OpenSocial persistence and SPI (Service Provider Interface) implementation
- Self-service application administration including security, gadget management and page templates
- User and group management with full privacy model
- Gadget repository with life-cycle management (install/update/remove) and extended meta data (categories, comments, ratings, etc.)
- Dynamic and highly customizable front-end engine (skins, pages, tabs, layouts, navigation)
- Full OAuth support
- Support for security restrictions on both Gadgets and page/tag/layout customizations
- Set of common and general purpose Gadgets to be usable out-of-the-box
- Support for inter-gadget messaging with examples
- Pluggable persistence
- Pluggable security model with example modules for authentication and authorization
- Support for OpenSocial extensions not (yet) defined in the specification
- Support for other (non-standard, yet) pluggable container services and extensions
Beyond these initial features the vision and scope for Apache Rave goes much further and includes integrating and providing other highly desired/needed features like:
- pluggable and extendible content integration and management services
- space extensions and management features, like http://wiki.opensocial.org/index.php?title=Space_extension
- context aware features and extensions integration for personalized and social network and (mobile) device oriented sites and channels
- enhanced client-side widget messaging, coordination and co-location support like using OpenAjax Hub and Registry
- space, page and Gadget based linking, navigation, coordination and collaboration
- inline widget rendering, like http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1402
- Activity Streams support
- integration with other social networks like with W3C Federated Social Web Incubator Group, OneSocialWeb and OStatus
- integration with Apache Wave
- runtime services monitoring, reporting and configuration/life-cycle management support